Written by Thomas Speekenbrink
Follow this article if you would like to convert the Exchange Synchronizer for Visma Business to the Exchange Synchronizer EWS for Visma Business.
The difference between the two Synchronizers is the way they connect to Exchange.
- The Exchange Synchronizer for Visma Business connects via MAPI (old, outphased protocol)
- The Exchange Synchronizer EWS for Visma Business connects to Exchange using Exchange Web services (EWS)
Because the two versions use a different connection and synchronization technique, upgrading is not just a matter of running a new setup file. Follow these steps:
- First of all the current Exchange Synchronizer for Visma Business needs to be uninstalled
- Make sure that the “Installation Preparations” are met (See the InstallManual_ExchangeSynchronizerEWSforVismaBusiness-Preparation document for detailed information on how to do this)
- Create a backup of the Exchange database
- Install the Exchange Synchronizer EWS for Visma Business
- Configure the Exchange Synchronizer EWS for Visma Business according to the description in the User Configuration Manual
By configuring the new Synchronizer you will notice you have to re-link all the users again. When you need to re-link users this means the Synchronization history is lost.
The Synchronizer is no longer aware of which appointments are already synchronized and will treat all appointments as new appointments. Starting the synchronizer at this point will cause all (existing) appointments to be synchronized and thus creating duplicates.
This can be prevented by cleaning one of the two calendars. Our advice is to clean the Exchange/Outlook side, which is the most method.
- Remove the already synchronized appointments in Outlook
- The Synchronizer by default synchronizes 30 days back and 120 days in the future. Within this timeframe you will need to remove the already synchronized appointments.
NOTE: Recurring appointments, Meeting invitation and tasks are not synchronized and should not be removed from outlook.
For Contacts there is no other way than to start the synchronizer and have the Synchronizer create the duplicates on its first sync run. Once the first run of the Synchronizer is completed open your Outlook contacts list and choose a list view.
Sort the contacts by Lastname and remove 1 of the duplicate contacts you see here.